The Saskatchewan Fruit Growers' Association (SFGA)
The association is a voluntary, non-profit organization whose members are interested in developing a strong and vibrant fruit industry in Saskatchewan. All affairs of the Association are governed by its constitution and an elected five member board of directors who have active member status.
“A grower directed association dedicated to the production and marketing of premium quality fruits. Working with industry to meet customer needs.”
Depending on the specific membership category members will receive:
- the SFGA’s Member Guide
- bulk purchasing discounts on plant material and supplies
- reduced registration fees for workshops and conferences
- space in the member guide for advertising
The SFGA’s objective is to meet the production and marketing needs of individuals producing fruit crops such as saskatoon berries, strawberries, raspberries, chokecherries, currants and other not so common crops such as sea buckthorn and lingonberry. To meet these needs the Association is dedicated to the following objectives:
- Research Oriented
- Communicate research and industry development to the grower
- Identify grower priorities for research
- Market Orientated
- Proactive promotion into new markets
- Provide information on the mechanics of market entry
- Research and identify potential markets
- Prairie-wide Cooperation
- Increase participation in the association
- Increase interprovincial cooperation to reduce competition
- Premium Quality Products
- Educate the consumer about Saskatchewan Fruit
- Develop quality and grading standards and regulations
- Provide growers with recommended methods of field management
- Industry Representative
- Increase cooperation of all industry stakeholders
- Advise government and research organizations concerning growers’ needs
Association embers are encouraged to participate in the following:
- annual meeting
- field days
- marketing projects
- research trails
The association is for all people who are interested in growing fruit on the prairies. In this regard, the association has developed three membership categories. One of these categories will suit the level of involvement you would like to maintain in the association.
Active Member - $200/YR + GST
Active members will receive the SFGA member guide which lists all members, discounts for bulk plant material and supply purchases, reduced registration fees for workshops and conferences, and the right to vote. Eligibility for active membership requires that the interested party be engaged in growing at least one acre of fruit with the intent of selling the fruit commercially or through U-Pick.
Affiliate Member - $100/YR + GST
Affiliate members are not able to vote in SFGA matters. The only requirement for affiliate membership is that you have an interest in growing fruit and that you do not have more than one acre of fruit planted.
Associate Member - $250/YR + GST
Associate members will receive the SFGA member guide, and space in the member guide for a one page advertisement. As well, they will have the option to sit on strategic committees but are not able to vote. Associate membership is intended for individuals or business entities who plan to sell products or services to the rest of the membership.